Sunday, July 20, 2008

Let's be honest, who hasn't wanted to start their own religion?

1. Hautman, P. (2004). godless. New York: Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, 198pp.
Modern Realism; National Book Award Winner for Young People, 2004

2. Rather than worshipping Target's bullseye or the Nintendo Wii--you people out there know who you are--Pete Hautman's protagonist, Jason Bock, decides to begin his own religion. And what better god to worship in those flat towns of the midwest than the Ten-Legged One, the huge water tower looming over Jason's adolescence. Jason enlists a motley crew of 'believers', including his friend Shin, his love interest Magda, Dan, and Henry Stagg, Jason's former nemesis. The 'believers' deem themselves Chutengodians, and what begins as inspired imaginational whimsy, soon turns into something far more serious than Jason could ever imagine. Starting a religion might sound like an easy thing, but maintaining any sort of faith becomes an entirely different story.

3. Hautman walks a tightrope with his book: he presents the question of faith and religion, while not condemning, or supporting, either side. Also, big points to the man for throwing in a lot of humor. Religion isn't an easy issue, especially when it comes to the classroom or young adults, but by opening up the discussion, I think Hautman should be commended.

Hautman also does pretty well with his main character: Jason Bock is an identifiable underdog for readers; he's an intelligent kid who loves to question authority with his biting wit (tell me, what kid doesn't love to stand up to 'the man'?). Hautman also does well with another character, Jason's friend, Shin, who takes the religion seriously--he writes, in essence, a Bible for the water tower--and ends up a little too fanatical about Chutengodianism. The other characters, particularly Dan, seem to exist as stereotypes, though Henry Stagg, the bully, is allowed some minor character development in the allowance that he does actually read (shocking, I know).

The plot doesn't seem too far fetched, and I'd consider it a bit of modern realism. There are accidents (Henry Stagg's broken leg) and lost loves (Magda, the playa). There's also a little slice of insanity and fanatical faith (Shin's breakdown). Jason is not converted, nor does he discount others' beliefs, as he once did (his father is a devout believer). The book addresses religion with skeptical doubt, per Jason's viewpoint, but also presents the power that faith and religion can have to a person.

4. Honestly, the title alone would scare me off from trying the book as a whole class reading. Rather, I think it'd be a great individual choice book, or even a read aloud (though I'm sure I'd get a lot of: "he's reading WHAT to you??"). Also, I think the book would definitely work as a bridge to a classic, something along the lines of Jude the Obscure (though a much gloomier novel, and more depressing, the same questions of faith abound).

5. I'm gonna say the book is appropriate for 12 and up. Or, possibly, 4-year old existentialists. Either would work.

6. This was my first foray into young adult literature--and I made it back quite nicely. I enjoyed Hautman's playfulness concerning the beginning of a religion; he also does a good job with creating a memorable protagonist to lead us through this "semi-dark night of the semi-serious young adult soul." I'd have no problem recommending the book, but would be wary of assigning it in class (godless worries me in the hands of some parents). Overall, a good read that didn't turn me off to YA Lit. Now, back to Target to I can worship me some Wii.

1 comment:

Julia said...

Thanks for the insight. This is on my list. I can't wait to see how our readings compare/contrast.

Oh, and try a pump fake next time.