Sunday, July 27, 2008

Guys Read?

1. Scieszka, J. (ed) (2005). Guys Write for Guys Read. New York: Viking, 273 pgs.
Nonfiction; compilation.


2. Jon Scieszka manages the website, guysread.com. He's compiled little 2-4 page selections from a bunch of well known writers--and illustrators-- for adolescents and chilren. The catch of course: all the writers are guys. And they're writing for guys. Just a little selection for you to choose from: Jack Gantos; Chris Paolini; Stephen King; Richard Peck; Neil Gaiman; Avi; Rick Reilly; Matt Groening; and of course, Chris Crutcher (with his off color story involving a basketball court, olives, and nudity). As you can see, a veritable who's who of male writers in the field. And, there's many more I have no room to name.

3. Most of the selections are autobiographical; therefore, yes, it's quite a believable book. It's a very quick read, and would be well suited to guys--or even girls, if they want some insight--who scoff at Dickens sized tomes. Some selections are throwaways, but some are ridiculously funny (see Crutcher) or poignant (first date stories, crushes, losses). I definitely see a lot of guys identifying with some of the selections, as well as getting to read tidbits by their favorite authors.

4. I honestly don't see too many classroom uses for the book. What the book would be useful for, though, is getting reluctant male readers to pick up a book. The chapters are small, the reading is a breeze, and the topics are pretty relevant to any adolescent male. After reading the book, I might have the reader write a short selection--be it a poem, an anecdote--that they think might be appropriate for the book.

5. I'd say that 6th graders on up could tackle this book. I think, obviously, the book skews toward males. But the stories, and writers, are relevant to everyone--so girls could definitely give it a shot (they might not enjoy it as much).

6. The book didn't blow me away, by any means, but I can see its relevance for its audience. There were a few selections that shined, but overall the shortness of the chapters kept the book from developing any depth. I'd definitely recommend to the books for boys having trouble reading, or having trouble finding anything they like (they're bound to like one or two things in here). Also, I finally checked out the website which this is based on. I was disappointed; I couldn't find any essays or selections like the writing in the book (stupid me thought they'd come from the website, but the writers were obviously asked instead), only a search engine. A search engine for suggestions would be greatly valuable, but it was down at the time I tried it, and can't give an opinion on its worth.

2 comments:

G said...

Scott,

This sounds like an interesting take on trying to get guys to read. It also reminds of a wonderful collection of short prose written by teenage girls of color called "My Sisters Voices."

Keep writing,

cg

Tonya Seaton said...

Scott, Anything is helpful if it will get a young boy to pick up a book. Thanks, I'll check it out. Tonya